Freelance Book Reviewer
Portland Book Review has an exciting opportunity for a Book Reviewer. You get to choose the book(s) you want to review and the book is yours to keep.
- Three-week turnaround for reviews of 200+ words
- Opportunities for writing featured articles
- Potential for author interviews; in person or via email
- Online submittal of reviews for flexible hours
- Sponsored Book Reviews when available: 300+ words.
- Opportunities for growth in all other areas of interest
The Reviewer position is an unpaid one. Reviewers are compensated by the ability to choose which book(s) they want to read from the availability list, and the book is theirs to keep. Candidates must commit to 6 reviews per year to maintain Reviewer status. We will train as necessary for all activities.
The reviewer will be evaluated twice a year in May and November to keep them abreast of how many books they have reviewed and for feedback on their writing.
Candidates should possess strong writing and editing skills with particular interests in creative word-smithing, fact-checking, and research. Must be able to meet deadlines and communicate effectively.
Email a letter of interest and 3 sample reviews (published or not) on any book of your choosing to email@example.com, with Reviewer Application in the subject line.
Portland Book Review has an exciting opportunity for an Editorial Intern.
- Edit reviews of 200 to 500 words on an ongoing basis
- Edit monthly articles as needed
- Draft reviews for posting using WordPress
- Research and project work as needed
Candidates should possess strong writing skills, resourcefulness, drive for results, and stellar customer service skills. Candidates with English, journalism, editing or related fields are welcome to apply. Interns should be interested in pursuing a career in publishing, writing, or a related industry. Must be detail oriented, and able to handle multiple projects at once.
Email resume, cover letter, and a 1-2 page writing sample (on any subject or from class assignments) to firstname.lastname@example.org, with Intern Application in the subject line.
The internship is an unpaid position and candidates must commit to 10 hours per week for a term of 12 weeks. We will train as necessary for all activities.